Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Body Theology

What does it mean for women to be "made in the image of God"? This question was first raised in my mind about 2 years ago when the pastor of my church did a sermon series on "The Theology of the Body" gleaned from Pope John Paul IIs works by the same name. I don't agree with all the points made (I rarely do any more--grad school ruined me from ever agreeing with anything in toto) but it got the wheels in my brain turning. (Always a dangerous thing). Do our bodies actually reflect Truth...and if they do...what Truth do women's bodies tell?

It  boils down to this...The Bible clearly teaches that man and woman were both created in the image of God (Genesis 1:27). Having grown up in Evangelical Christian circles--I have heard quite a bit about God--God the Father, and God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. By default--not on purpose, these teachings have been primarily about God as masculine given the pronouns we use (Father, Son....Spirit...not sure what category to place that one.) How do we know pronouns make a difference? Just start calling God "Mother" and see what happens in an evangelical group! :)  I don't have a problem with understanding the "masculine" aspects of God....except that it doesn't help me understand myself and how I as a woman am also created in the image of God. What does THAT mean?

It was about 2 months ago that I was thinking about the above, and I realized that the "fruits of the Spirit" (i.e. the results of being transformed by the presence of God working within a person) mentioned in Galations 5:22-23 are primarily feminine characteristics: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control." WHAT? How come I never heard a sermon on THAT? And speaking of the Spirit of God....isn't the Spirit also refered to as the Helper, Comforter, Advocate....need I go on? Where do children go to for comfort, help and advocacy when they are young...their MOTHER! Hmmmmmm. To be continued......