Monday, December 5, 2016

Advent 2016

Well, hard to believe it is that time again...perhaps the reality to me of it being Advent was hastened yesterday, by our first snow of the season here in Chicago. A good six inches that covered everything in a white, downy blanket. I love the silence that the first snow brings.

As in other years, I find myself meditating on the drama of that first Christmas, and which personage in the drama I identify with the most this season. This season, it has to be Mary.

I think this is because although full of a desire to be obedient to the unique call of God on her life, I cannot help but think that a few days after she had that short interchange with the angel Gabriel, she began to wonder...and think to herself, "What on earth have I signed up for?" I think that would be a very normal, human reaction for Mary to experience. Especially after her fiancee Joseph, upon hearing of her being pregnant, initially considered divorcing her. Great. Just what she needed. Thankfully--God sent an angel to him too--and things were worked out on that relational front.

Nonetheless, the plan of God for this young couple did not mean a life of ease--instead it resulted in them having to leave their home and homeland, and be guided by angels in a foreign land. God will guide, but it doesn't mean it will be easy. If you feel like Mary this year too, may God send his angels to guide and protect you on your way of His path for you.